Wednesday, October 29, 2008

simple home-made yogurt



One of the re-discoveries I made on my trip to Dhaka was the delicious, light yet creamy taste of homemade yogurt. I love it! My uncle makes it regulary. And it's so simple.


To start, you need about 2-3 tablespoons of yogurt and about a litre of milk. Once you've made the yogurt, use some of the home-made yogurt to make more. Let the milk boil and take it off the heat. I add about a tablespoon of sugar to the milk while it's coming to a boil. You then let the milk cool so that it's warm, not hot, not cold! Strain the milk - you don't want any of the skin in the yogurt! Smooth the yogurt out by beating it with a fork. At this point I sprinkle a little salt in too. Then pour a little of the milk in to the yogurt and stir well. Gradually add the rest of the milk. Put the yogurt in to the container you want it to set in. I just do the mixing in this container. Put a lid on it and it wrap it up in tea towels. Use whatever you like. You just have to ensure that the yogurt is kept nice and warm. Once wrapped up, I just put it close enough to the cooker that heat from cooking keeps it warm and two curries later (I mean after cooking two curries, not eating two curries!), it's set. All you need to do then is to refrigerate it while you think about what you want to do with the yogurt. 

My family loves eating it the way it is. You could use some of it in a range of recipes, like, Warda's Aubergine Dip or this lovely Apple and Yogurt Cake I made the other day.

















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and look forward to checking in with your blog too.

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP