Wednesday, March 31, 2010

ribbon ripple pattern

Thank you all so much for your kind comments and suggestions regarding the ripple-pattern I was working on.  I've come up with a pattern to share with you and I hope it fits the bill.


I've called it the "Ribbon Ripple Pattern" because it was indeed inspired by the Bargello Ribbon pattern.  Well done Umm Abdulrahman! I saw a print of the pattern on a cushion and it's been bugging me to crochet it ever since!  Initially I was going to make a cushion out of it, but I need a break from cushions and I'll have a re-think about what this can become.  I didn't want to delay sharing the pattern though, so I will leave it up to you to decide what you'd like the final item to be, if you choose to try it out.  

Of course, you can ribbon ripple your heart out and make a blanket.  Or if you are less patient (like me!), a scarf or a cowl.



 For a very quick project, how about a book sock or a mug cosy?



Ribbon Ripple Tutorial (see below for a straight-forward pattern)
Note:  US crochet terminology used (for UK/Aus: the only stitch used is a treble)

Anyway, getting down to the nitty gritty,  I've used DK aran here and for me a 4.5mm hook works best.  See what's best for you and your yarn.  This combination gives a slightly tighter finish.  Unlike a usual ripple there are a couple of fiddly bits with this one.  But after the first row, it's really easy to get in to the swing of things.  The aim was to have contrasting smooth and sharp ripples together. Another thing to bear in mind: you do not turn your work.  It is worked up on the right side only.

One pattern repeat needs 23 chains.  So depending on the width or length you need, you will have to chain on a multiple of 23. So for example, the mug cosy needs 2 pattern repeats, so I chained 46 (2 x 23 = 46). 


A scarf might need 6 repeats, so a chain of 138 (6 x 23 = 138)

This is the pattern for one pattern repeat:
Start by chaining 23.


Then you need another ch 3 (that counts as a dc) OR you do a no-turning-chain-dc using this method that I've mentioned before.
You then do another dc in the same ch.


Crochet 2 dc in the next chain.


Then a dc in the next 3 chains.


Then we have a fiddly bit.  Yarn over, go in to the next chain and pull up a loop.


Yarn over and pull through 2 loops.  You have one semi-formed dc.


Do this 5 more times so that you have 6 semi-formed dcs and 7 loops on the hook.


Yarn over and pull through all 7 loops.  Let's call that a cluster stitch.  That is your first trough or dip in the ripple.


In the next chain, work 3 dcs, chain 2, and another 3 dcs.




That is your first peak in the ripple.


Work up another cluster stitch in the next 6 chains.



And dc in the next 3 chains.


Finally, 2dc in each of the last 2 chains.


You should end up with a squiggly "W".
Now for the second row, don't turn your work!  Slip stitch another colour in to the first dc of the first row and work a dc.


Then, another one (in the same dc).


Again, 2 dc in the next dc ...


... and a dc in the next 3 dcs.


Then, a cluster in the next 6 stitches.


The 4th one goes in to the top of the cluster from row 1.



Continuing the pattern, work 3 dc, chain 2 and 3 more dc in the ch 2 space from row 1.



And another cluster in the next 6 stitches.


Work a dc in next 3 dcs and 2 dc in each of the next 2 dc.


Got it?  Any questions, just give me a shout. 


A few rows might look something like this.


For the Mug Cosy, I just slip stitched the last chain in to the first and rippled around ...


... leaving the next few rounds open (not slip stitching) for the mug handle.


*******************************************************************************

Ribbon Ripple Pattern
 
Yarn used: DK aran
Hook size: 4.5 mm
Note: US terminology used.  US dc = UK/Aus tr

Special stitch:
Cluster stitch (cl st) - (yo, insert hook in next ch, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull through 2 loops) 6 times, yo, pull through all 7 loops on hook.

Foundation chain: multiple of 23

Row 1: 2dc in 1st ch, 2dc in next ch, dc in next 3 chs, cl st in next 6 chs, (3dc, ch2, 3dc) in next ch, cl st in next 6 chs, dc in next 3 chs, 2 dc in next 2 chs (repeat for desired length)

Row 2: 2dc in 1st dc of row 1, 2dc in next dc, dc in next 3 dc, cl st in next 6 dc, (3dc, ch2, 3dc) in ch2 sp, cl st in next 6 dc, dc in next 3 dc, 2 dc in next 2 dc

Repeat row 2 until desired size is obtained.

********************************************************************************

See? It's not that hard to remember the pattern either! 

Do let me know if you try it and how you get on.  I'd love to see pictures.  Don't forget to leave me a link to your project!

14 comments:

Knitchic54,  March 31, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Thanks for the piccies on this one! It is one of my all time favourites for crochet. Love it using half trebles too.

You have inspired me to post another favourite shell pattern for rugs, shawls etc.

Baa-Me Kniits March 31, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

That is lovely! I will have to give it a go...school holidays are about to start, I can feel a Tea Cosie coming on :-)

Teresa,  April 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM  

I saw your pattern on Ravelry and thought it was very pretty. I had to check out your blog. Your crochet is beautiful. I have bookmarked you and will be checking back often. Thank you for sharing your creativity!

Sarah,  April 1, 2010 at 12:57 AM  

Thank you so much for this pattern! I love ripples and I am always looking for a new one, I have never seen anything like this one before.

Anonymous,  April 2, 2010 at 1:41 AM  

i am very new to crochet, but you make this look do-able. it's a lovely tutorial, obviously a lot of work has gone into it. you are so sweet and generous to share it.
the mug cosy is cute! maybe i'll try one :o)
your ripples are beautiful xxx

Anonymous,  April 2, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

Hi!
I found your pattern on Ravelry and it led me here! I just love your work, and yes... you have made long for crocheting again! (surprised...)
I will absolutely come back to your blog again... for more inspiration. :)

Have a nice creative holiday!
Catarina

ps. if you think my english is strange... well... I´m from Sweden.. I actually live quite near where IKEA was founded. (I guess that is what you refer to as "local Swedish furniturestore")

Fruitful Fusion April 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM  

Thank you all SO much for your kindness!!! It is very encouraging and appreciated! I'd love to see your work if you do decide to give this pattern a go.

Sumea, you knit beautifully, I'm sure crochet will be a doddle too!

Catarina, your English isn't strange at all but it's nice to know that you're from Sweden! Yes, IKEA is probably the most popular furniture shop here in Jeddah!

Dana Barbieri April 3, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

I don't knit or crochet but I think this is so pretty and so generous of you to share the pattern. I find it so amazing that you can make your own pattern up. Wonderful!

Anonymous,  April 4, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

Assalamu'alaykum sister,

Masha'Allah it's very kind of your to share this pattern. I think it could easily be sold/published masha'Allah.

I'm also impressed that your able to come up with your own patterns, masha'Allah.

May Allah bless all of your efforts.

Congratulations again.

Kindest regards,

Umm AbdulRahman

sarah,  April 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

Here is a link to see the baby blanket I did with your pattern.
I am thinking I will do one with all my scraps soon.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/srhncl/ribbon-ripple-pattern

Fruitful Fusion April 10, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

Once again, thank you everyone.

Dana, you are extremely talented. I love your paintings!

Umm A, what can I say? You're comments just keep encouraging me! BTW, can you email me?

Sarah, I'm honoured! It was wonderful seeing your blanket. Thank you. Which part/parts were tricky?

Valerie May 7, 2010 at 1:11 AM  

this one is very interesting & your tutorial is very well done. thank you !
i find ripples in general beautiful, but i tried once for a baby blanket and found this so boring to make that i gave up mid-way !!!
but a cup cosy seems less out of reach & more tempting !

Unknown January 17, 2014 at 12:24 AM  

Hi, This is lovely; I've done the first row and it's even prettier than the pictures! However, I'm coming up short on stitches on the second row...
I'm thinking I' made a mistake because, I did turn -- I cannot see how you cannot turn...Even in your photo you are working back across the work: How is this achieved without having turned? I'm totally missing something...lol. Clearly!

Santa Clara Artesanato February 18, 2014 at 12:05 AM  

É mtuito linda! Toda charmosa!
Quero te convidar pra participar da divulgação de blogs no http://santaclaraartesanato.blogspot.com.br/

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and look forward to checking in with your blog too.

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP