Wednesday, December 23, 2009

kufee hat pattern

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

I know it has taken me ages to get this pattern up.  Better late than never, eh?  Below are photos accompanying the pattern (with explanations) and further down is the more concise written pattern.

Start off with some nice cotton.  I used some Jaegar Aqua cotton and a 3mm hook.



Chain 4 and slip stitch in to the first chain.


A magic ring would work brilliantly here BUT it's not really essential.  You'll see why.

In the first round you are working 12 dc in to the ring.  So, start with a chain 3 for the first dc OR use this method for the first dc.



If you crochet this round over the yarn tail and give it a pull at the end before slip stitching into the first dc ...
 


... the centre will be tight enough.  This is why you don't need the magic ring here.

 

Start each round the same way, with a chain 3 or a dc, whichever you prefer. 

In the second round, you work 2 dc in each stitch.



The third round is where you need to pay a little more attention.  Work a dc in each of the next 3 stitches.  Then, chain 1 and dc in each of the next 3 stitches.  Continue with this all the way round and slip stitch into the first dc.



In round 4, work 2 dc in the first dc, 1 dc in the next and 2 dc in the one after.  Skip the chain 1 space and chain 1.  Continue with this all the way round and again, slip stitch into the first dc.      

 

Rounds 5, 6 and 7 are crocheted in the same way as round 4.  See below for the exact pattern.  This is what your hat should look like at the end of round 7.

 

For a larger hat size, I crocheted more rounds like these before moving on, but for a toddler or 3-4 year old, this was fine.

 

Round 8 is crocheted in the back loops of each stitch ONLY.  You dc in each dc, but skip all of the chain spaces.



 

After round 8, the inside of your hat looks like this:

 

And the outside looks like this:

 

In round 9, you just dc all the way around.  At this point you can carry on with a dc in each dc for each round until you reach the size you need.  That is about six more rounds for this size.

Here are some variations to that.

The Mesh Variation:

 


And again with a different colour:




The Diamond Variation:




Kufee Hat Pattern

Ch5, ss into 1st ch

Round 1: ch 3 (to count as 1st dc), 11 dc in ring.

Round 2: 2 dc in each dc

Round 3: (dc in next 3 dc, ch 1) 8 times, ss into 1st dc

Round 4: (2 dc in 1st dc, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, sk ch 1 sp, ch 1) 8 times, ss into 1st dc

Round 5: (2 dc in 1st dc, dc in next 3 dc, 2 dc in next dc, sk ch sp, ch 1) 8 times, ss into 1st dc

Round 6: (2 dc in 1st dc, dc in next 5 dc, 2 dc in next dc, sk ch sp, ch 1) 8 times, ss into 1st dc

Round 7: (2 dc in 1st dc, dc in next 7 dc, 2 dc in next dc, sk ch sp, ch 1) 8 times, ss into 1st dc

Round 8: (dc in next 11 dc, sk ch sp) 8 times, ss into 1st dc

Round 9: dc in each dc, ss into 1st dc

Mesh Variation:

Round 10: dc, sk 1 dc, ch 1, (dc in next dc, sk 1 dc, ch 1) around, ss in 1st dc

Round 11: ss into ch 1 sp, dc, sk next dc, ch 1 (dc in next ch 1 sp, sk next dc, ch 1) around, ss in 1st dc

Round 12: repeat round 11

Round 13: repeat round 11

Round 14: dc in each dc and ch 1 sp, ss in 1st dc

Round 15: ch 1, sc in each dc, ss in 1st sc and fasten off and weave in ends 


Diamond Alternative:

Round 10: dc in next 5 dc (sk 1 dc, ch 1, dc in next 10 dc) 7 times, sk 1 dc, ch 1, dc in next 5 dc, ss into 1st dc

Round 11: dc in next 4 dc (sk 1 dc, ch 1, dc in ch 1 sp, sk 1 dc, ch 1, dc in next 8 dc) 7 times, sk 1 dc, ch 1, dc in ch 1 sp, sk 1 dc, ch 1, dc in next 4 dc, ss into 1st dc

Round 12: dc in next 3 dc [(sk 1 dc, ch 1, dc in ch 1 sp) twice, sk 1 dc, ch 1, dc in next 6 dc] 7 times, (sk 1 dc, ch 1, dc in ch 1 sp) twice, sk 1 dc, ch 1, dc in next 3 dc, ss into 1st dc

Round 13: repeat round 11

Round 14: repeat round 10

Round 15: dc in each dc and ch 1 sp, ss in 1st dc

Round 16: ch 1, sc in each dc, ss in 1st sc and fasten off and weave in ends 

--------------

If you decide to give it a go, do let me know!


62 comments:

vala.... December 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM  

ok...this looks a little complicated for me at the moment...but I love the outcome and Ive put a crochet hook on the shopping list for next weekly shopping...Ive marked your beginner page in my favourite and inshallah in a few months time Ill be back here to do it...

Fruitful Fusion December 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

Oh brilliant Vala! Let me know how you get on with the crochet. Enjoy! And let me know if you do give the hat a go too!

Rima December 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

This is beautiful! Thanks for the step by step instructions!

Anonymous,  January 9, 2010 at 3:26 AM  

erm whats a dc?

Fruitful Fusion January 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM  

SJ, a dc is a double crochet. But that's the US term. The UK term is: treble crochet! Do you crochet?

Anonymous,  January 10, 2010 at 12:08 PM  

erm.......i can't say yes and I can't say no ! :)
I have crocheted in the past hats blankets nd various little squares...but I have never really followed a pattern....I'm just thinking about it
;)

Fruitful Fusion January 12, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

Pattern or no pattern, show us your crochet work! :)

Anonymous,  January 31, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

my poor attempt at your hat is on my blog!

seekingjenna,  February 1, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

I'm sure the pattern is fabby.....just couldnt quite get my first ring with the right number of stitches lol!!!!

Liza Lias May 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM  

Thanks for the pattern. I've tried it and it turns out really great.

Rebecca,  August 3, 2010 at 5:13 AM  

Asalamu alaikum,

Jazakillah khairun for sharing your pattern freely. I tested it out today in a small size. The pattern was easy to follow and free of mistakes. Next, I will make a larger one for my father-in-law, insha'allah.

http://ravel.me/boscoco/kh (you can see you have inspired other projects I have made as well)

Anonymous,  December 4, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

Thank you for sharing this pattern. I made it for my husband and he loves it. I have pictures of it on Ravelry (screen name Cella).

Aishah,  June 13, 2011 at 2:36 AM  

Salaams!
I loved this pattern!! It was very easy and quick. Below is a link for the picture of the first of these I made. I didn't have the suggested size hook at the time, so I used a 5.5mm along with a worsted cotton blend. I adjusted the pattern a bit, but in essence it came out great. Thanks tons!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2076047789271&set=a.2042319466084.2125718.1487271791&type=1&theater

Aysh September 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM  

Ilove this pattern and the way you have written the pattern! I am sharing it on my blog for my best friend and her attempt at crochet! You are really FRUITFUL!! :D

Dee Gonzalez,  February 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM  

Greetings! I love this hat and need to make it for a Muslim friend. I measured his head at 23 inches around, and was wondering what alterations if any I would need to make for it to fit him perfectly. Need to get it to him by Sunday, and today is Thursday. Sorry for the pressure, but I've been searching for 3 days for a simple yet distinguished kufi that he could wear to pray in, at work, or anytime. Thank you so much, because now all his brothers will
want one, too. P.S. You can view all of my crocheted projects on Facebook via my mobile pics @ Dee Likeideverleavehim Gonzalez.

Fruitful Fusion February 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM  

Dee, I just saw this. I don't know if you have enough time!!! The project is a quick one though especially if you're using thicker yarn. To make it bigger you just carry on after round 7 increasing the size, following the same pattern until you have a big enough circle. I don't think it will need too many extra rounds if the yarn is a little stretchy when worked up. I know my hubby wore one which was only slightly bigger than this. I guess it was stretched to the max! I hope that makes sense. Once you have the base circle big enough, carry on with the rest of the pattern (no increases as you're going straight down). Any problems, let me know!

amina February 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM  

Salaam Aleykum

I just found this pattern and I would like to make it but is it a kids pattern or an adults men pattern? Could you help me out because I have a real hard time making this for my husband in fact he starts laughing every time I start again now for the 5th time.

amina February 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM  

Salaam aleykum thank you for your message on my blog. I have a little problem I don't really understand the abbreviations. I'm dutch and i know which stitch is which in English but I don't know the abbreviations just yet. I'm also a beginner in crocheting as you might have noticed on my site. Sorry I'm asking so mucht

amina February 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM  

Salaam Aleykum

how many extra rounds would you advise for an adult version

Unknown August 8, 2012 at 7:18 AM  

I came across your blog and I love this pattern ...thank you for sharing:)

Yati August 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM  

Hi,
Thank you for sharing this pattern. After round 9, I just continued with dc until finish.
And I did another kufee hat, which use the diamond variation on the side.
Both turned out great. Thanks again! :)

Aminah Diab July 21, 2013 at 3:18 PM  

hi! thank you so much for the design! I tried it out and love it! (hoping it will fit on my 3 yr old nephew).

I do have a question tho. I am just starting to crochet and this did take me quite some time to complete. May I know how long you take to make one hat?
Also, I was considering selling some crochet items, do you have any guidelines on how to price crochet items?

Anonymous,  February 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM  

Hi there, is this in US terms or UK?

Anonymous,  April 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM  

Asak
I tried it was really nice mashallah

mgrant7209 May 17, 2014 at 8:39 AM  

Asalamu alaikum. Nice pattern. I want to make a kuffee for my son-in-law who recently took his shahada. But I want to use size 10 thread. Any ideas on sizing?

Ms. Crochet Extraordinare May 21, 2014 at 1:31 AM  

This is exactly what I have been looking for and two ways to change the look. Fantastic!

Unknown September 21, 2014 at 6:53 PM  

Hello! Your pattern is gorgeous! Im a beginner and im abit confused, when u say double crochet in the next dc , do u mean the stitch or space under it? Can u link to vid on how to do it plz, thank you.

Benedict January 10, 2015 at 4:05 AM  

I, too, am looking to do this hat with thread. Have you received a response on sizing yet? Thanks. Ben

Geezer Ed February 17, 2015 at 4:10 AM  

Hi! Your blog is fascinating. I'm a 68-year old male who crochets. I've been looking for what I now know to ne a kufee for over a month. I wanted it to keep my bald head warm during these cold months. I found your site, and this pattern, today. I've already made 2 versions of the basic pattern, a photo of the second of which can be seen at the link below. Thank you for posting this! I am very grateful.

http://geezerthoughts.blogspot.com/2015/02/blog-post.html

Grosir Baju Anak Jonggol July 1, 2015 at 12:57 PM  

Hi,,, nice thread :)
i want to make it one for my husband and hope he will be happy...
thank you

Grosir Baju Anak Jonggol July 1, 2015 at 12:58 PM  

Hi,,, nice thread :)
i want to make it one for my husband and hope he will be happy...
thank you

Unknown August 31, 2015 at 5:27 PM  

I just finished making one with your pattern help...would love to show you a picture but don't know how.

danty April 8, 2016 at 10:37 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown June 15, 2016 at 10:13 PM  

I'm a beginner & this was an easy patten. Thank you for sharing the patten! I chose the diamond patten.

Sandra,  November 3, 2016 at 4:02 AM  

I used crochet thread and had to adjust it here and there because the crochet was looking more like a doily with the ends a bit wavy, I just adjusted it and now have it to where the sides are flat and the waves became almost gathered -- a very pretty look!!!! And to think it was probably just the thread. Now I'm going to backstitch into this row and start the mesh part. Great tutorial -- direct, to the point, and very well explained. If there was a way for me to share my picture of the final product, I would.

Unknown November 4, 2016 at 6:55 AM  

I just finished my Kufi hat using this pattern (great tutorial) and this was my first crocheted project and I loved. It turns great!! Thank you so much!!

Unknown February 18, 2017 at 3:41 PM  

Thank you so much for this pattern. I made a diamond variation kufi for my husband a few months ago and I'm making another one now. I think this time I'll go for the mesh variation. I think I'm still a beginner (I only took up crocheting last summer) but this pattern is great for beginners.

Unknown June 5, 2017 at 11:04 AM  

beautiful pattern. thanks for sharing

Unknown September 17, 2017 at 2:03 AM  

Thank you. My husband wants a hat like this. I am going to give it a try. Will post picture when finished.

chiligirl2001 November 14, 2017 at 7:41 PM  

Question... From the looks of it, the row that starts the side of the hat is crocheted in the backstitch only? Or does that just look like that in the pictures? It doesn't say in the pattern. Thanks!

Fruitful Fusion January 11, 2018 at 11:19 PM  

Chiligirl2001, yes, you're right, it's through the backloops only.

Triplethread April 28, 2018 at 6:00 AM  

Thank you, this was the easiest pattern to read and make.

Unknown May 5, 2018 at 12:40 PM  

Love this pattern, have made adjustments to needle size and yarn and am using up baby yarn yea me lol thank you so much.

Anonymous,  June 23, 2018 at 2:54 AM  

Making a black luck in the mesh pattern right now . Thank you ..

Anonymous,  June 23, 2018 at 2:55 AM  

Kufi ..typo

Farhana Fauzan July 26, 2018 at 8:11 PM  

Assalaamu'alaykum..

I'm a beginner in crochet and I really confused when it gets "Sk ch 1 so, ch 1". Can you explain more details? Do I make ch 1 after 2dc and skip 1 hole, or else? Hope you answered the newbie question.

Melissa S. Miller January 12, 2019 at 12:59 AM  

Hi! This is a fantastic pattern! I’m just wondering how many rounds of increases you would do for a baby (6months-1year)?

Unknown February 26, 2019 at 1:05 AM  

Love the pattern.thanks for it. Is there a way I CAN PRINT pattern without printing all the comments?

Unknown May 18, 2019 at 4:15 PM  

Slm alaykum. Shukran for this. What weight yarn did you use? Chunky or double knit/worsted weight?i made a pillbox kufeya from makerist. Com but the crown it's a bit floppy so need to stiffen it? Do you know of anything? Maybe buckram?

Anonymous,  September 13, 2019 at 3:10 PM  

شكرااا و جزاكم الله خيرااا

Anonymous,  May 7, 2021 at 8:57 PM  

As salaam waleikum. Thanks you for this pattern. It is so easy to work with I've made 9 kufees for family and friends already and it works up really fast. Thank you again.

Unknown December 31, 2021 at 2:08 AM  

Love the pattern, all the different designs are great!

Anonymous,  December 11, 2022 at 6:16 PM  

WOW! This looks like a crochet book quality instructions and pics. Thank you!

Zuraidah Mohamed,  December 6, 2023 at 5:09 AM  

I have made several caps using this pattern. THANK YOU.

M. R. March 19, 2024 at 4:30 AM  

This is my go-to pattern every time when I need such hat as a gift. I wouldn't count how many I had made through the years. Thank you gor this amazing pattern!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and look forward to checking in with your blog too.

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP