Monday, April 20, 2015

ugly

There is a lot of ugliness in the world. And one might argue that as with beauty, everyone has a different opinion of what is truly ugly. But I think "ugly" is a strong word. Yes, tastes vary and I see that more so here, in Algeria where tastes in clothes, make-up, home decor, even cake designs are generally quite different to mine. I appreciate the work that goes in to a handmade clay pot, a hand-embroidered bedspread or an intricately decorated cake. Even if I find it a bit tacky and not pleasing to my eye, I could never say it's ugly. What is ugly though? Rudeness, oppression, exploitation, disrespect, arrogance. There is a lot of ugliness in the world.    


Here in Algeria, when you tell someone that they look nice or "shebba", they reply with "oyoonik shebbeen"or "your eyes are nice/beautiful" meaning: Your eyes are beautiful to have seen the beauty in me. With whatever ugliness there is around us, I think it's nice to seek out beauty in it, be it a situation, a relationship or an incident. Sometimes the beauty just springs up, as if from nowhere.



My "ugly", scrap yarn, crochet!
Are you seeing any beauty in the "ugly" around you?

This post is a part of the "Love Your Blog Challenge". Click on the image below to see posts by others that are participating.

A Playful Day

11 comments:

Helen (yarnful) April 20, 2015 at 11:00 AM  

I like the Algerian way of returning a compliment. It's so gracious!

Isaida April 20, 2015 at 5:18 PM  

I loved the Algerian comment - "oyoonik shebbeen"or "your eyes are nice/beautiful" meaning: Your eyes are beautiful to have seen the beauty in me" Beauty is everyone....even in the so called ugly. And there is no ugly in your scrap yarn blanket :)

Wendy April 20, 2015 at 6:09 PM  

I wish there were an English equilvalent of "oyoonik shebbeen." The world might get one heartbeat nicer. Love the scrap blanket!

Unknown April 20, 2015 at 10:51 PM  

I love the Algerian reply to a compliment! Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and it springs up where you least expect it. Sometimes I catch myself looking at something unusal and seeing the beauty in it, like the way the light is hitting a building for example. Love your blanket too! X

Kate April 20, 2015 at 11:17 PM  

I love the idea that you there is a kind of beauty in seeing the beauty in things. That response to compliments is perfect!

Seaweed and Raine April 21, 2015 at 3:25 PM  

What a humble and beautiful way to put it. Graciousness is something that should be taught more in western society. It is something I have been learning more as an adult. Thank you for taking the time to share the something of the way that Algerians talk to each other.

moments April 22, 2015 at 6:42 PM  

agree what a beautiful way to return a compliment...

Unknown June 29, 2015 at 6:34 PM  

What a beautiful expression. English is straight to the point, Algerian has a beauty to it!

Unknown June 29, 2015 at 6:35 PM  

What a beautiful expression. English is straight to the point, Algerian has a beauty to it!

Unknown June 29, 2015 at 6:35 PM  

What a beautiful expression. English is straight to the point, Algerian has a beauty to it!

Oum Anas November 3, 2015 at 9:16 PM  

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder :)
Late, I know...

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and look forward to checking in with your blog too.

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP