Wednesday, May 12, 2010

fixing up the hex bag

The task at hand was to fix dd8's Hex Bag that had horrible holes  in it ... and keep it that way!  

But first a little disclaimer of sorts:  The hexagon pattern I used for the bag is the Attic24 Hexagon How-To.  It's the same one I've used for the Hex blanket-that-might-not-continue-to-be-a-blanket, in the previous post and here.  The pattern is a good one, especially as it's of the join-as-you-go variety.  So, why did it fall apart?  I LoVe to crochet.  Oops, I've said that before!  But I'm not so passionate about sewing.  Plus, I didn't even have a sewing machine when I crocheted this bag (I still don't.  I'm STILL borrowing one.)  Anyway, many of us are really in to one craft (like crochet) and and not in to another (like knitting!) and just can't manage others (like sewing).  BUT, crocheting a bag in any stitch bigger than a single crochet (US term) and then giving it to an 8 year old, who then goes on to stuff it silly with things that are larger than the bag itself (because it's nice and stretchy) means only one thing ...

... it needs a LINING.  

So first of all, the stitches had to be undone up to the damaged section and re-crocheted.


Then, a lining was stitched up.

With french seams incase they can be seen through the spaces between the hexagon stitches.  [I don't own a sewing machine so of course I didn't know what a French seam was let alone how to sew one!  Great tutorial here.]

Finally, the lining was hand-sewn in to the inside of the crocheted bag with the aid of another brilliant tutorial.


I just thought it might be worth mentioning that I started off pinning the lining to the bag with the pins lying horizontally.  It was quite painful!  Then I decided to pin them vertically and didn't have any pin pricks at all.
 

Et voila!  A Hex bag that she can no longer over-stuff or over-stretch but hopefully over-use in sha Allah! 


So you see, being able to sew just means you can do MORE with your crochet projects!

3 comments:

jessyz May 13, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

Oh so cute! I have yet to make a bag for my two year old who loves using all of my crocheted ones. She sometimes thinks they are hats and wears them on her head too.

Buy Design May 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

Now it's looking all lovely again. Well done. The need for a lining is what has put me off starting a crochet bag but maybe I should give it a go as I have some really lovely patterns.

Baa-Me Kniits May 15, 2010 at 1:25 AM  

Thats a great idea for the bag and thanks for the links to the tutorials I am going to have to learn how to do that as I am planning on making some felt bags and I will have to line some of them. My sewing skills are very basic so instruction will help :-)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and look forward to checking in with your blog too.

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP