Friday, October 5, 2012

my creative space - finished

I came to live in Saudi Arabia, for the first time, in 1989. I was a kid. It was a new place. But Jeddah became a second home.


When I left to go back to London in 1994. I didn't know if I would live here again. Ten years later, after getting married and having children, my husband was employed here. I was back. Things had changed. The city had developed a lot. But the main thing that was the same, was that my parents were here. 


Last night, after living here for 23 years, they left. For good. I don't know why we say "for good". But I certainly pray that it is for their good. I've mentioned my move before, but my parents' move is filled with much more uncertainty. I would like to see them jetting off to somewhere calm, to relax at this stage in their lives. But their circumstances have not allowed them to do that. I pray that they can find some rest and relaxation in amongst the inevitably busy days that will follow. Our lives have been full of goodbyes, but that doesn't make any of it any easier. 


It has taken some time for it all to sink in too. This morning, I feel empty knowing that my Dad won't turn up at my door with his trademark intercom buzz; that my Mum's youthful energy is not five minutes away; that I don't know when or where we will sit and laugh and cry together next. 

But on a positive note, we have skype, facebook, all kids of gadgetry to help us stay connected. In reality, we are connected without all of those, aren't we? And wherever we go in the world, we pray that we will be together in the Hereafter.   


I finished the throw (it's not big enough to be a full blanket) 9 hours before they had to leave. They left for London, but will be ending up in Qatar. Yes, it's hot there! But I wanted them to have something that I made. So a throw it is! I panicked when I ran out of the blue yarn with 3 squares to go! Did YOU spot those kind of odd, grey corners? It was either that or no throw! And here's the pattern.


So there it is. Life. I think some quiet, comforting time with the children is needed.


Do take a look at some more creative spaces!

3 comments:

Al Firdaus lifestile & interior October 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM  

oh this is not easy..hope everything will be good for them! (and you!). your blanket is so so beautiful tabarakallah and a more beautiful gift!what could be better than something handmade from you..lovely!;)
salamualaikum

Fiona October 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM  

I know from personal experience that the expat life can be difficult with family so far away. But as you say, technology makes it much easier than it used to be. I hope the move is a positive one for them.

Your throw is lovely and I am sure it will be treasured by your parents as they start their new life ... and I like the odd corners. Would never have guessed it wasn't intentional.

Umm Maimoonah October 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM  

Assalaamu Alaikum
May Allaah make it easy for you all. aameen. Nothing is certain in this world, and all what is very certain is what we collect for our hereafter wherever we are and I am sure you all were blessed to be in that land for a a long period and would cherish those wonderful memories Inshaa Allaah! May Allaah be with you all. on a side note, glad to know your parents would be in Qatar Inshaa Allaah and I hope you would visit them one day and I would meet you in person too Inshaa Allaah if we are still here at that time : ) And Alhamdulillaah with all ups and downs in each one's personal life this place is beautiful, calm, clean and nice and I am sure your parents may enjoy living here too even though they would notice some cultural differences. Take good care sister! Baarakallaah Feekum!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and look forward to checking in with your blog too.

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP