Wednesday, November 28, 2012

barley, health & diy links

The weather has changed. It's changed from very, very hot to warm! Well, we've also had bursts of rain and when there's this *drastic* weather change, everyone gets the sniffles! I kid you not. It's just a part of living in Jeddah.

Here's a super health food that I gave my bunged up and weepy-eyed household.


Barley. Washed. Soaked. Boiled. 


I used extra water to boil it so that I could strain the barley water to drink. It's nice in the summer with lemon and honey, served cold. But for cooler months, it's nice mixed with hot milk and honey.

Drinking Talbina (barley drink made with barley flour and water) is from the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم. I made the barley water the way that I did so that I could cook the actual grains in a bit of butter, milk, cinnamon and honey, and serve barley porridge for breakfast!


And another go to drink: The ultimate immune system boost drink

Anyone with the love of crochet, check this out: Can crochet improve your immune system? Now we're talking!

I LOVE natural remedies! Do you? Here are some other great ideas that I haven't tried yet but hope to:

8 ways to freshen your home 

Home-made deoderant

Natural toothpaste

Something strange happened. Good, in many ways, but I've been hit a bit of a curve ball too! In my last post, I mentioned that we are homeschooling full time. Well, things have changed. Just when I was really getting used to having my kids at home during the day, they're going back to school. And that surprisingly made emotions fly too!


And just when I thought I could use those rolls of sticky, book adhesive for something as beautifully organised as this weekly planner, possibly in our new home, I will probably have to use them over the next few days, to cover books!

4 comments:

Anonymous,  November 29, 2012 at 12:18 AM  

Ciao Ishrat!!
I'd really love drinking Talbina, I've never tried it before, but it seems yummi!! :)
Love all the links you posted!!

Kat McNally November 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM  

Yum, that barley milk sounds amazing! I'm loving those pink planners too.
How have you been since Blogtoberfest, sister? It's been fun catching up with you on instagram too.
I just wanted to let you know that I’m hosting another (albeit gentler and more introspective) blog challenge over the month of December called #reverb12.

Would be so rapt if you joined us!

There’s a little giveaway too. :-)

Details here: http://isawyoudancing.blogspot.com.au/p/reverb12.html

Take care

Kat xxx

Anne Butera November 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM  

I hope everyone in your family is feeling better soon!

Your barley drink sounds delicious! I've never had it before.

Wishing you all the best!

Hena Tayeb November 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM  

Have never tried the barely drink before.. sounds interesting.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and look forward to checking in with your blog too.

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP