Monday, November 22, 2010

scent

The other day, I happened to walk past The Body Shop in a mall and casually, strolled in. Something very strange happened. I noticed this. 

 "Here's a blast from the past ..."

Dewberry. It wasn't my favourite scent. My favourite was always White Musk. But was it nostalgic or what! It took me back, back to when every teenaged girl in Jeddah was crazy about The Body Shop. I remember being gifted so many "smelly" soaps and lotions that the sweet aroma of them all would envelope me as I'd walk in to my room. I bought the Dewberry lotion purely for that reason. It got me thinking. We've been capturing images for so long with all sorts of cameras, camcorders and now mobile phones. Are our visual memories really memories? Or do we think they are memories because we've seen certain photographs? 


Scents on the other hand, can't be reproduced as easily. Which is why I think the memory of a scent is something extraordinary. A quick rub of this simple lotion over my hands, reminded me of events that took place about fifteen years ago. I know there are certain smells and scents that make me think of certain people. The wonderful thing is that they are people that are or were very close to me. And just as bright, colourful visuals brighten my mood, so do fresh, floral or fruity fragrances and warm, woody ones too. Isn't the smell of cinnamon so deeply, warm? Do particular scents remind you of particular people? Which fragrances ignite your fondest memories? Have you ever tried to visualise a scent? I've never tried it but I think it would make a very interesting project and something I'd love to try with the kids!       

2 comments:

Anonymous,  November 22, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

I find that scents/smells can evoke very strong memories and feelings subhan Allah!

Fruitful Fusion November 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM  

Yes, isn't it amazing! Subhan Allah!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and look forward to checking in with your blog too.

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP