Tuesday, January 17, 2012

lessons in crochet

Sometimes I think you don't know me. 
You don't understand me. 
We're so different. 
You'll never really "get" me. 
But when you go traipsing around town, 
searching high and low, 
just so I can finish this 


no matter how crazy it might seem to you,
 I know you care about how I feel 
and 
I know 
you know me. 
Allah yahfadhak.



I tweaked a shrug pattern. And you can too! I used a different yarn, hence completely different sized hook and kept trying it on until I had it how I wanted it. 

This is the pattern I used, but there are lots on Ravelry.

Following the pattern, I worked up a rectangle.


As you can see, I used a chainless foundation because ... it's brilliant!


I continued with the pattern but making sure that I had the right multiple of stitches along the side.


I had an inkling that I wouldn't have enough of the cotton-viscose mix I was using and "decided" that I didn't want long sleeves. You could always add increases and have your sleeves flare out a bit.


For the collar, back and front, I carried on with the pattern. I didn't stick to the number of rounds given in the pattern that I used. I kept trying on the shrug to check!

Lessons learnt:
  • Don't be afraid to do it your way.
  • You might find the yarn you need (in the teeny tiny stationery shops of Jeddah) where you don't expect to.
  • If it's old stock, check that they have enough BEFORE you start working on your project, because they're not likely to order more in from France or Turkey or wherever they got it from!
  • If you're making a garment for a particular event, start well in advance so you don't have to deal with last minute, panic-inducing hitches!
  • ALWAYS appreciate the special people around you!  

4 comments:

Baa-Me Kniits January 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM  

Who would have thought that a rectangle could look so sexy? Gorgeous shrug and gorgeous dress! Who did the searching for you? I love it!

Resmi... February 27, 2012 at 7:16 AM  

Looks lovely. I especially loved the yarn color and the combination of the dress with it. LOVELY :-)

Jinky March 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM  

so you're in KSA? so am I, am in Riyadh.. I love this shrug turn into bolero.. nice job.
take care..

Hiba,  May 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM  

I am from Jeddah, and recently into crochet, but I don't know where to find good yarn in nice colors, can you help me out?

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and look forward to checking in with your blog too.

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP